Tuesday, November 27, 2012

{DIY car seat canopy}

I have been a busy mama getting ready for baby #2! I knew I wanted a car seat canopy, but didn't want to spend a fortune! I remember when our daughter was a baby, we carried the car seat around with a blanket over the top and it was always falling off and in the way. This is a fun, easy project that would also make an awesome gift! I did forget to take a picture of every single step, feel free to ask any questions.



Here is what you need:

1 1/3 yard fabric for top
1 1/3 yard fabric for backing (I chose to use minky)
 

sew on velcro
fabric marking pen
thread

Here's how:

Step 1: Cut top and backing fabrics 35"X42"
If you are piecing together like I did, cut top fabric 29"X42". Use a piece of the backing fabric and cut it 6"X35". Just make sure the finished dimension is 35" wide X 42" long.
 

Step 2: Create curved corners by tracing a large bowl or plate with the fabric marking pen as shown above.

Step 3: Cut straps 2 from backing fabric and 2 from top fabric. Make the final dimensions 4" X 9 1/2". To piece them, make the dimensions of the back fabric (mine is minky) 2" X 9 1/2" and the top fabric 6" X 9 1/2".

Step 4: For the main body of the cover, place right sides together of front and back fabrics and stitch all the way around, leaving a small opening.

Step 5: Turn right side out and press well.
 
Step 6: Stitch all around body of cover to give it a finished look and to close the opening.

Step 7: To make the straps, take the 2" X 9 1/2" fabric and the 6" X 9 1/2" fabric and sew them right sides together like shown above (excuse the writing, I had a little helper!) Press well. Repeat with second strap.

Step 8: Fold strap piece in half placing right sides together. Stitch length wise and around leaving one end open.

Step 9: Turn right side out and close opening. Press well. Repeat for second strap.

Step 10: Fold straps to check placement of velcro. Pin and stitch velcro on ends of straps.

Step 11: For placement of stitching the straps to the body, measure 19 inches from the top and 11 1/2 inches from both sides. There should be about 5 1/2" inbetween straps. Pin straps into place and stitch.
 

This is what the straps will look like.

Here is a glimps of the inside.
 
I also made a matching canopy for the American Girl car seat for our lil lady. The dimensions are found here. I just LOVE how they turned out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment